All my roads since 2007 have led to Africa. I'm finally back and this time it's GHANA.
I went to live closer to the equator to see if the paths I have chosen do not lead me to a dead end. For the question isn't what good have I done, the question is what good can I still do and what good can I do now.
And that's what I went to learn.

EXPLORE. DREAM. DISCOVER. LEARN. DO.

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Bikes for orphans, fundraising from bed

Last Sunday, I went to an orphanage. Six kids live there, 14 more come... The house has one room which serves both as a bedroom and a classroom. The lady who runs the orphanage has no other income but what she gets from selling charcoal and bread she bakes. It was outside of Accra, away from any main road and it was a very peaceful place. The children were very humble and sweet.
Why did I go there? Because my friend supports the orphanage. And because I still had the toys my nieces gave me for some kids here. The kids didn't ask for anything. Until the moment I got into the car and one of them whispered - I like biking... Suddenly, the quiet kids were smiling and telling me they all love biking...
I left the orphanage and couldn't stop thinking that that area was perfect for biking - no traffic, open area. And I just couldn't stop thinking about the kids. So I asked my friend - how do we get 6 bikes for free? And she said: "Well, can't we just put the money together?" Within three hours, I had enough money to buy all six bikes! And I didn't even get out of bed to do that! Internet is amazing, isn't it?

So today, me and my friend went to Tema to check if we can actually get the bikes. So we bought them and here they are:

On Sunday, we're going to take them to the kids. I can't wait to see their faces!

PS: One of the bikes is with Spiderman. I had to get that. Marketka would love it. :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment