All my roads since 2007 have led to Africa. I'm finally back and this time it's GHANA.
I went to live closer to the equator to see if the paths I have chosen do not lead me to a dead end. For the question isn't what good have I done, the question is what good can I still do and what good can I do now.
And that's what I went to learn.

EXPLORE. DREAM. DISCOVER. LEARN. DO.

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

HIV/AIDS in Ghana

I've talked to many people living with HIV/AIDS in Ghana. And let me tell you, it's not easy - stigma and discrimination can reach such a level that it's almost impossible to understand (to me). People lose jobs because they're HIV+. They lose families. They lose dignity. They lose everything.

Do you want to attend support group meetings to be able to talk to someone who understands you once a month? You better go to a place that is about 2 hours away from your home so that people don't know where you're going.

When you look at the statistics, you'll see that Ghana is pretty good, compared to the rest of Sub-Saharan Africa, when it comes to prevalence rates. According to the statistics, too, almost 100% of adults know about HIV, how it spreads etc. Knowing is one thing, though, behaving accordingly is another one. And you can't change someone's behavior overnight. Unfortunately...

And so it is...

0 comments:

Post a Comment