All my roads since 2007 have led to Africa. I'm finally back and this time it's GHANA.
I went to live closer to the equator to see if the paths I have chosen do not lead me to a dead end. For the question isn't what good have I done, the question is what good can I still do and what good can I do now.
And that's what I went to learn.

EXPLORE. DREAM. DISCOVER. LEARN. DO.

Sunday, August 22, 2010

Bikes for orphans

We did it! We managed to get the bikes (and 6 books, a ball and a skipping rope) and after a 2.5-hour struggle, we got them to the kids. Well, the story goes... we bought the bikes and we were supposed to pick them up today. As we did. It took 45 minutes of waiting, though, of course (the Ghanaian way :-)). It turned out, too, that the guy didn't do anything he'd promised - greasing the chains etc., getting air for the wheels (the Ghanaian way). I paid him less for that reason (the Ghanaian way) and then we went on an adventure trying to find a gas station where we could get air for the bikes. It took 4 gas stations, but we managed. I also managed to get an oil-spray to grease the bikes.

And then we got to the orphanage where 6 smiling kids welcomed us yelling "bikes bikes" at us. That was amazing. I got a couple of hugs and was really happy, but then it turned out that the lady who runs the orphanage wasn't there... And we couldn't just leave the bikes there with no adult supervision. So what do we do? Well, this is what we did: we gave them the bikes, let them ride them for about an hour and then gave them the ball and the rest of the stuff, packed the bikes and drove them to a friend who lives nearby and who would drive them back when the lady is back. I felt really mean taking the bikes away from the kids again, but it would have been too dangerous. And they had the ball so they were still happy and playing when we were leaving. So yea - my "let's surprise the kids" plan had a flaw. I still have a lot to work on...

0 comments:

Post a Comment