All my roads since 2007 have led to Africa. I'm finally back and this time it's GHANA.
I went to live closer to the equator to see if the paths I have chosen do not lead me to a dead end. For the question isn't what good have I done, the question is what good can I still do and what good can I do now.
And that's what I went to learn.

EXPLORE. DREAM. DISCOVER. LEARN. DO.

Friday, July 9, 2010

Africa time

While I haven’t fully embraced the Africa time concept (and no, don’t worry, I’m not annoyed or surprised by that, I learnt how to live in Africa time in South Africa), I managed to embrace some parts of this attitude. Last Friday, I didn’t go to work because it was raining. A good enough excuse (and not that there was much to do anyway).

However, while I’m not known for being the most punctual person, I could pass for this title in Accra. You tell me we’re leaving at 11am, I’ll be ready at 11am. And I’ll be ready, although I know we probably won’t leave until 2pm (and this really happened). I don’t get angry, though, I just take a book, read and wait (learning patience, you know :)).

In the light of this, I answer questions “Where are you?” when we’re supposed to meet someone and the person is waiting for us. Winnie called last week, before the game, where we are. We left the house 1.5 hour later than planned, but already where in a trotro on our way. I said: “We’re almost there.” And hung up. Doreen started laughing and asked if I know where we are. My response: “No, I have no idea, but does it matter if we’re 10 minutes from there, or an hour?” And no, it didn’t, at that point. We were planning to go shopping before the game, go to the internet café, but we got to the bar the minute the game started without doing any of that. TIA. :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment