All my roads since 2007 have led to Africa. I'm finally back and this time it's GHANA.
I went to live closer to the equator to see if the paths I have chosen do not lead me to a dead end. For the question isn't what good have I done, the question is what good can I still do and what good can I do now.
And that's what I went to learn.

EXPLORE. DREAM. DISCOVER. LEARN. DO.

Thursday, July 29, 2010

My love for trotros doesn't fade because we lost the door once...

Ok, the number of posts about trotros on this blog says two things: (1) I love trotros, (2) I spend way too much time on them. Why do I love trotros? Because there's no better place for people-watching. But yes... I don't call this commute to work, it's a 2-hour (if I'm lucky) journey to work and it can be done only temporarily.

I've had some accidents with trotros. The door fell once (well, it kinda did hang onto the trotro, but still...) Everyone seemed surprised, but I thought - come on, guys, you've had to see this many times before. Yea, I also thought - ha, that's new; but then stopped paying attention and continued my people-watching. Or I fell asleep, I don't remember. I was hoping, though, that we wouldn't kill anyone on the road with the door flying away while in motion (we didn't).
I do like trotros but I don't like the front seats. I sat there once and it's not much fun to be squeezed on the seat with one other person when the door suddenly opens. While in motion, of course. I do like window seats. And I make sure I choose the row with the best leg space if I can. :)

I did have some accidents that weren't entirely pleasant - it's getting warm and people smell. But people don't smell as bad as a baby puking in front of you. The drivers are crazy and I sometimes wonder how it is possible that I got home alive. But then you end up sitting next to a child trying to break your nose with his mother's purse and you stop carrying about the driver that much. Also - I'm good at hitting my head at least once a day. But you get used to it and knowing that everyone is watching the obruni getting off a trotro, you know that you at least amused someone.

And I like that many of the St. Peter's car mates already know where I'm getting off. Or alighting, but that's for another post.

0 comments:

Post a Comment